Haynes Automobile Company began as Haynes-Apperson before the turn of the 20th century. In 1893, Elwood P. Haynes had purchased a single-cylinder marine engine and approached the Apperson brothers of Kokomo, Indiana to adapt it for use in a car. The car was completed in 1894, and soon sales to the public began. Mr. Haynes was a shameless promoter of his product, often eschewing the truth for a good story. He had claimed his car was America’s first (a credit that belonged to the Duryea Brothers) and the first car to make a 1,000 mile trouble-free journey… both of which were not quite true. But the public responded and Haynes Automobile Company (founded in 1904 after a split with the Appersons) proved very popular, building as many as 9,813 cars in 1916.
Haynes would go so far as to build a twelve-cylinder model starting in 1916, but it was the six that was the mainstay of production through the company’s demise in 1925. This 1917 Haynes features an unusual four-seat roadster body, and is powered by a robust 288 cubic inch six-cylinder engine. It shared its 127” wheelbase with the “Light Twelve” model, and with a lightweight body and only 7 fewer horsepower than the Twelve, performance was excellent, with a 60 mph top speed.