In early 1930, Cadillac surprised the Automotive World by unveiling the industry’s first V16 engine. The newly designed V16 featured sixteen cylinders, overhead valves with hydraulic lifters, 453 cu.in. displacement and rated at 165 HP. It could deliver 8 miles to a gallon of gasoline, with a cruise speed of 70 mph and a top speed of 90 mph. The early Cadillac V16’s were bodied by Fleetwood, a Pennsylvania firm with a record of prestige auto body installations which was acquired by the General Motors, Fisher Body Division in the 1925 model year. In the middle of 1930 the Fleetwood shop was closed and moved to Detroit, Michigan.