Triumph four-cylinder engine, 1147 cc, 8.0 compression ratio, rated at 38.3 bhp, engine located at rear of vehicle
Land/water selective transmission, 4-speed land transmission, separate control engages two water propellors
Steel disc wheels
Black and white
The Amphicar was built in Germany from 1961 to 1968. It was the only civilian amphibious passenger automobile ever to be mass produced with total production at 3,878 vehicles. The Amphicar is rear engined and uses a 4-cylinder British-built Triumph Herald motor producing 43 hp. The Amphicar has a top speed of 7mph on water and 70mph on land. Hence, it was dubbed the “Model 770”. It is moved in the water by its twin nylon propellers. A special two-part land-and-water transmission built by Hermes allows the wheels and propellers to be operated either independently or simultaneously. In the water, the front wheels act as rudders.