1934 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow

Pierce-Arrow was a manufacturer of luxury cars located in Buffalo New York. The name was synonymous with class and distinction; Pierce-Arrow was the “old money” brand in the teens, twenties and thirties.
The Depression hit the luxury brands particularly hard, after 1932-1933 sales of the very top brands became soft as wealthy buyers opted for more modest options in new cars. Pierce-Arrow developed a very limited production show car called the “Silver Arrow” featuring a radically styled body—the fenders extended from their front peak all the way to the cowl, without the (then) traditional sweep downward to the running board. This styling feature also concealed the side mounted spare tires.

1932 Stutz Model DV-32 LeBaron Sedan

The Stutz Motor Car Company of Indianapolis, IN, used engineering knowledge and experience on the local Indy track for the production of the Stutz Bearcat from 1912 until 1924. The decision was made to enter the high-end luxury car market in 1926, and a new line of models were introduced featuring an improved 8-cyl. engine, low slung chassis, and product refinements to accommodate after-market, custom body installations. High performance V8, V12 and V16 engines were introduced into this market and Stutz lacked funds to directly compete. As an alternate move, Stutz re-designed the existing 8-cyl. engine by adding twin overhead cams plus 4-valve cylinder heads. The revised engine was designated as the DV-32 with a 156 hp. rating.

1931 Ford Model A Deluxe Roadster

The Ford Model A, introduced in late October, 1927 as a 1928 model, was such a radical departure from the Model T that Ford closed its factory for almost six months to re-tool the new model. The Model A featured a refined four cylinder engine with a 200.6 cu.in. displacement and rated at 40 hp. The engine was now fitted with a conventional distributor ignition system, a water pump and a state of the art updraft carburetor and was coupled to a sliding gear three speed transmission. Safety features included a mechanical four-wheel internal expanding brake system and new shatterproof window glass.

1931 Packard 840 Custom Eight Phaeton

The 1931 Packard line consisted of 8 cylinder vehicles only. The less expensive model, the Standard Eight, featured a 319 cubic inch engine that was mounted on a 126 or 133 inch wheelbase. The expensive model was the Custom Eight or 840 series which was powered by a 384 cubic inch engine mounted on either a 140 or 145 inch chassis. Approximately 8,000 Custom Eight models were produced that year as opposed to nearly 16,000 Standard Eight models. The model for 1931 featured a four-speed transmission which was used in 1931 only.

1931 Cord L-29 “LaGrande”” Speedster “Legend of the Lost Cord””

Introduced in 1929, the new Front Wheel Drive Cord L-29 featured a low silhouette on a 137.5” wheelbase. The sleek boat-tail speedster design was introduced to the public in January, 1931 to motivate additional sales. The car’s design elements included aircraft inspired “pontoon fenders”, a steeply-raked v-shaped windshield and streamlined teardrop-shaped covers on the door hinges. The finished car was introduced as the “LaGrande” Speedster. Following the New York Salon, the “La Grande” was shown in Toronto, Canada and then toured Cord dealerships in North America. It was returned to the factory to be freshened for a trip to France where it received a first place award at the Paris Concours d’Elegance. Over a period of time and many showings the vehicle disappeared and was “lost forever”.

1931 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton Convertible

The 1931 Chevrolets were called the Independence models and were built on the same chassis and powered by the same six cylinder overhead valve engines that were introduced in 1929. This engine was built in response to Ford Motor Company’s success with their new Model A introduced in 1928. This new engine would be used with minor modifications until the late 1950s in Chevrolet passenger cars and trucks. Twelve body styles were offered in 1931 and the bodies were built by Fisher Body. The 1931 models featured headlamps mounted on a dramatically curved cross bar, a higher and larger radiator, and a redesigned hood with opening louver doors. Wire wheels were now standard equipment.

1930 Cadillac V16 Phaeton Series 452

In early 1930, Cadillac surprised the Automotive World by unveiling the industry’s first V16 engine. The newly designed V16 featured sixteen cylinders, overhead valves with hydraulic lifters, 453 cu.in. displacement and rated at 165 HP. It could deliver 8 miles to a gallon of gasoline, with a cruise speed of 70 mph and a top speed of 90 mph. The early Cadillac V16’s were bodied by Fleetwood, a Pennsylvania firm with a record of prestige auto body installations which was acquired by the General Motors, Fisher Body Division in the 1925 model year. In the middle of 1930 the Fleetwood shop was closed and moved to Detroit, Michigan.

1930 American Austin Bantam

Mistakenly called the Austin Bantam by many automotive authorities, the small vehicles built in Butler, Pennsylvania during the 1930s were actually called the American Austin. Introduced in late 1929, just before the start of the Great Depression, the new and economical little four cylinder automobile seemed like a great idea as America began to enter the Great Depression. The first American Austin Bantam’s built in early 1930 were actually assembled on British Austin 7 chassis and measured sixteen inches narrower and twenty eight inches shorter than any other vehicle built in America.

1929 Durant

Durant Motors, Inc. was organized in 1921 as a $5,000,000 company with more stockholders than any other company except American Telephone & Telegraph. It was founded by William Crapo Durant, one of the most spectacular and colorful entrepreneurs in American automobile history. Durant had previously founded General Motors and lost it twice. Within two years of founding Durant Motors, it had a variety of brands including the Durant, Star, Flint and Eagle, all rivaling the range offered by GM.

1929 – Stutz Model M 2 Passenger Speedster with Rumble Seat, Coachwork by Le Baron

The 1929 Stutz line was the last designed under the leadership of Frank Moskovics and they are a tribute to his sense of style, performance and advances in automobile design, features and production. The Model M formed the core of the 1929 Stutz line. Powered by a 322 cubic inch overhead valve inline eight cylinder engine with a dual throat carburetor that was advertised as 113 horsepower, it had abundant low speed torque, peaking at 226 ft-lb at 1600 rpm. Powerful enough to give great performance with heavy sedan and even formal bodywork, in a lightweight two-seater like this Le Baron bodied cutdown door ‘2-Passenger Speedster with Rumble Seat’ it recalled the legendary Bearcat in both style and performance. This 1929 Stutz Model M 2-Passenger Speedster with Rumble Seat is a gorgeous car. It was acquired from the McGowan brothers in Connecticut (who may have bought it from legendary Stutz collector A.K. Miller in Vermont) in 1992 by Fred and David Weber in St. Louis and restored by them.